Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 24, 2013

For starters, "Fluorescence" is an easy read, but its content can be somewhat vague at times.  As I see it, every student in the class reads each page differently.  Poetry can only connect to the willing.  People who want no part of poetry will forever cast aside simple haikus and proclaim them to be simple gibberish.  But those who aspire to read into poems; those who go out of their way to dissect and analyze poems are the ones who find meaning in them.  They find themselves living throughout the author's words, and everyone relates to poems differently.

Some pages in "Fluorescence" are difficult to understand until I take a double-take.  For instance, the first page, page 37, of FOUR, I read the section as a woman who is paranoid and skeptical, and is at ease once her lover's hand simply grazes her cheek.  She leans back and "a sense, not totally foreign" washes over her. She loses balance with the tightrope (problems, fears, complaints) and falls into a sort of relaxation.

I'm not sure I like this book so far.
She seems like an amateur in some instances.

But I'll see to it that I finish the book with an open mind soon enough.

1 comment: